Monday, September 24, 2007

High School English vs. College English

High and school and college english, from what I can tell so far have so many differences. If you think back, in a high school english class most of the time was spent on grammar up until senior year. In college it is expected that you are strong with your wording, punctuation, and placement of verbs and adverbs. It is not emphasized at all. I have noticed already that freshman english is going to be mostly reading and writing papers. This was just a thought i felt like putting on the table. Do you agree or disagree?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

in a since i definitely agree because i have noticed that in english class grammer is expected out of us. Where as in high i do agree that it was more about grammar and the basic functions of english.

Daniel said...

It is definitely different in college than it is in high school. The grammer and punctuation is expected to be write no excuses. I've also noticed that we discuss and write about what we talked about in class. I agree it is different.

Jamion said...

I agree with that high school was mostly grammar until senor year. I also, agree that this year is about reading and writing about what we read. I think that my writing skills might get better because I dont write good papers and it will also help with my speech. Even reading and writing about what we read will help to remember the stores or essays better.

Anonymous said...

Highschool english goes over vocabulary and there is more learning about different types of writing and spelling, punctuation, and different authors and eras of writing. College english is so much better. We actually get to write about how we feel not. We do not have to write about some stupid topic the teacher gives us. I also like that in college the way we write about the class is we do a blog or write emails, which is also a good way to keep in touch. I sort of agree but really I would rather be a good write about my topic than punctuation perfect because authors mess up on punctuation and structure all time.

Anonymous said...

In college, you find harder concepts and bigger expectations not only in writing but in thought process as well. Highschool is more grammer and function oriented

Anonymous said...

I agree in high school it was 50 words a week. The teacher was always pounding them into our heads, our final exam was close to 400 words. I love it actually only writing and reading, compared to learning all of those words.

Anonymous said...

I deficiently agree because you are already expected to know grammar and punctuation by the time you get to college. And you do not get any second chances to correct it because you are expected to perform the first time.

Patrik

Anonymous said...

I would disagree, as back in england I took english all the way up to my last year at high school and the complexity of the work was nearly final year degree standard. I struggled but managed to pull out a C. From what ive experienced so far, english class has been less complex than high school.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree that college and highschool english is very different. I think that highschool was definitely mostly grammer than anything and in college you have bigger expectations.

Shelly said...

I particularly think that this class is easier than my high school english class because i took AP English III and IV. My teachers really challenged us for college and i think they did an excellent job of it. But so far, this english class is pretty much equivalent to mine in high school.

Unknown said...

I agree with all that you said in high school the engish was so much differnt because yes we would allways would start off with grammer then work our way into reading allmost everyday of class. But with college it is so much differnt because we manly focuse on peoples opions and dont not go into grammer as much.

Anonymous said...

I think that high school english is basically about the way you use grammar. You are expected to learn and in college you are expected to know. In college writing is more free sometimes, you can write about almost anything.

Anonymous said...

they are very much different in that fact too i think. In college everything is already expected from you and everything is at a much faster speed too.