Monday, September 17, 2007
Racism
Today in class we talked about race and ethnicity. We also talked about how everyone is stereotyped by someone at some point and time. I know that I have stereotyped many people before in my life. There are also people that probably stereotype people on this campus. But, the question I have is about Racism in our everyday life. Does everyone in our society have some racism in them somewhere?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
I believe that everyone has some type of racism that they were brought up with. Whether they choose to voice this or not, is up to the person, but people tend to believe what their parents taught them, and many children like to conform to their parents beliefs. My grandfather fought in WWII and absolutely HATES Japanese people. Now, when i see a Japanese person, i don't think their going to try and kill me, like my grandfather does, but i do look at them knowing the beliefs of my grandpa and that does cause me to look at them slightly more biased than i would have if i wasn't brought up that way. We shouldn't have racism, but i think the concept of racism in our melting pot country is still fairly new and it will take our country and even the world a lot longer to completely get rid of it.
I think that some people (not everybody) has some type of racism in them and a lot of it has to deal with how you were raised and what your parents have said and made you believe. For example from my school if a white girl dated a black boy, they were known as a "skank" or "trashy" and if you hung out with them you were too but if you're happy then it shouldn't matter but i guess thats how some people were brought up to think that relationships should not be like that and a lot of if probably has to do with what your parents have said about it. We shouldn't have racism but we do and i think its going to take a very long time to ever get rit of it.
There is definitely racism in someone. It doesn't have to be about color, just about anything. I know where I come from black,white and mexicans do not get along. There were always some kind of fights or arguments. But since I've gotten here it seems to be totally different. I'm not prejudice in any way. My roomate is mexican. But racism will always occur, even though as time goes on it will get better.
I think everyone has a little bit of racism in the way we talk. Like the teacher said, we all say you people or they when we talk about certain groups of people. For example we say there are alot of immigrants from Mexico. They are getting alot of good jobs for smaller pay in the USA. I think we don't purposly use racism but sometimes we accidently do and it's not in a harmful way. I also think that racism is alot more prevalent in the south.
I think there is some racism in everyone. I have to agree with everyone above. Racism now is not as big a deal as it use to be, i think, but there are still people who judge based on ethnicity. I believe racism developes by how one was raised or maybe a bad experience that one has been through. It all varies on the individual person.
-Holly
I think everyone has a little racism in them somewhere. Parents tend to influence their child at a younger age whether be in color of skin or a certain type of social group. Everyone is influenced by something. I dont think we should have racism, but as shelly says we are known as the melting pot and racism tends to come along with it.
Racism can be anything from the color of the human to just talking bad about your same race. I do not notice much racsim in this school but at my high school i noticed so much. I guess it is because people did not respect each other. Fights broke out between a lot of differnt races i guess it was due to racism. This is a big subject to deal with and i could go own and own with the deals of racism.
I most definately think so. I dont think its as bad in college as it was in high school but there is still alot of separation between races. ALot of how you are raised depends how racist you are though. Your community also makes a huge difference and major influence on the people you separate.
i agree with the point everybody is racist but i think it differs greatly with each individual person. They differ in the way that they were brought up and the environment they were grown up in. is racism right? i dont think so but things just dont change every night so i believe we should just accept it. at the same time i do believe we should try to improve it.
I agree that everyone has some type of racism in them because the why their parents raised them. I was raised to get along with everyone no matter the color of skin or back grand. I can say that I’m raciest against those who hate others because we are all the same through the eyes of God my savor.
I do think that everybody has some racism in them. Most people say that thyy don't, but everybody does at some point and time in their life. The most common I think that happens is sterotyping. Stereotyping happens everywhere and especially now that I am in college, I see it alot more.
i do think that everyone has some type of racism in them. everyone im sure has judged another race at least once in their life. they may not have ment to but they did. racism i think will always be a problem no matter where you are.
I think everyone has some level of rascism. Some people, in my opinion, are more racist then others.
test
I think racism resides in each and every one of us. I will test the comment that says that racism is not as bad as it use to be. My respond to that, you will have always have that one redneck kid trying to call out another race. Don Imus will be on the radio shouting out names and calling people "nappy heads". Big news story right at this moment is Jena 6. Do your research on racism, its everywhere, the NAACP is still around for the reason of racism is still here. There are affirmative action programs, and the list goes on. RACISM IS APART OF OUR DAILY LIVES! But it was the way your were raised on if you notice it or not.
I without a doubt believe everyone is racist in one way or another. Everyone subconciously thinks racist thoughts about another person, even though they dont even realise their doing it.
Post a Comment