Friday, October 26, 2007

Gender

In class we are now hitting the topic of Gender, through gender you see many different things. But we a people are different, compared to the 'sterotype' people normally gives us. They say when you go into a room for an interview, the interviewer has made there decision about you in the first 30 seconds, if they like you or not. From the handshake, to what you are wearing, you are judged. The appearance has alot to do with you, because of Gender. Mowing Service, would you expect to see a woman outside with a lawn mower, just asking to mow your grass for a reasonable price. No, but the fact is it is out there, a news story this summer I particularly remember is about women mowing grass. In Charlotte there is a lawn mowing bussiness where a girl gets outside and mows your grass in a bikini. Thus I claim Safety Hazard, no protection if you hit something and it it hits the girl, but I am not saying I wouldnt pay. The fact is, we as Gender species claim one another completely opposite. But yet, we work in the same jobs, women are police officiers, men are in the cleaning services. Women are doctors, and men are hairstylist. Can you name some other forms of jobs, that now are spread between both sexes, but 40 years ago you wouldnt hear of? Whats you opinion of woman in 'the mens' workplace, and men in 'womens' workplace? In some cases does Gender over rule the other no matter what? Should Gender matter when you are in a hiring situation? Please Explain.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that in some cases it does depend on your gender, like you wouldn't really see a man working in a nursery, but yet they came out with a movie about a man running a day care. Honestly in real life you wouldn't see that. I don't think that it matters at an interview if you are a woman or a man, I've heard that it mostly depends on how you present yourself with the way you dress. Gender doesn't matter as much as it used to, times have changed.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree with Tori and I do think that it sometimes can depend on your gender because, there are some jobs that you would much rather see a man worker than a women. For example, my dad owns his own Alarm Business and puts in alarms and has to go under houses and all kinds of things a woman normally wouldn't do, and not saying a woman cannnot do it, but if you were wanting an alarm in your house most people would probably trust a man to get the job done right. And about interviews, I don't think it matters about your gender as much as people think, I've always heard from my parents and many others it's how you present yourself.

Anonymous said...

With gender people do tend to put categories around them. My mother owns a construction business, you wouldn't think of a woman being in this kind of career because it deals with large equipment and hard labor you would think of this as a man's job. She has been criticized a lot but still keeps her head up and continues her career. I dont think that we should be "labeled" I believe that everyone should be open and not judged by whatever they do

Anonymous said...

I agree that their are some jobs that men are better at than women. However, do you see men good at being Mr. Mom? Yes, they may be able to take care of them but they will not be able to nuture them as much. Gender can sometimes matter.

Patrik12 said...

I believe it does not matter whether you male or female. As Tori said they mostly look at your appearance and how you present yourself. In our world today a lot of things have changed and more women are doing mens jobs or vice versa. So I believe it does not matter whether you are male or female you can get any job that you want.

brandi said...

I think that in some cases is does depend on gender. For example, childcare and wedding planners are normally a female job and construction and football coaches are men. I think in a job case gender shouldnt matter because we should look at eachother equally.

Lawson said...

I think being a teacher was always a female domintated job but now you see more guy teachers, especially in High Schools. As long as someone is doing that job well I don't think it matters what gender the person is.

Anonymous said...

I believe that there is a lot of discrimination in the work place. It is a fact that women are paid 30 percent less than men even if they are doing the same job. I believe doctors are now spread between both sexes and also coaches in sports. I believe women work very well in the work place most of the time but they can have there flaws along with men having them also. Yes i think there is a huge stereotype when it comes to gender. I think gender should matter in a hiring situation only when it picks the best person that will suite the job!

Anonymous said...

Honestly i really dont care that women might work in male environment job or the other way around. As long as they can do it then that's good to me. I really cant think of major jobs besides doctors and being head of businesses. So genders in the work place doesnt really matter to me.

Anonymous said...

In some cases I think that gender should matter when it comes to hiring a person for a job. You wouldn't hire a woman to work at a construction site would you? Other than the obvious gender seperated jobs I dont think that gender should matter in the hiring process.

Daniel said...

There are a lot of jobs where men and women share the same occupation, such as poice officers, janitors, and waitors. All of those examples are diversified. I think society is developing a new outlook of jobs for both men and women.

Jamion said...

Gender has its differences because when it comes to sports and jobs its the females that get looked down on ;and its the guys that is said to do the worst in taken care of a kid and the shopping. The women are more of looks and age, men are more of there muscles and size with power

Jamion said...

Gender has its differences because when it comes to sports and jobs its the females that get looked down on ;and its the guys that is said to do the worst in taken care of a kid and the shopping. The women are more of looks and age, men are more of there muscles and size with power

Jamion said...

Gender has its differences because when it comes to sports and jobs its the females that get looked down on ;and its the guys that is said to do the worst in taken care of a kid and the shopping. The women are more of looks and age, men are more of there muscles and size with power

Anonymous said...

Your gender can depend on the job you work. Like being my age if i went and worked in a nurses office then my friends whould probly call me gay. But if you want to work there then you can but i just chose to work were guys work at.

Anonymous said...

i think that your gender can play a big role in what you do in life. there are plenty of gender markings as far as jobs come. i dont think it should matter though if your are a male or female.

Anonymous said...

I believe that gender shouldnt matter when you are in a hiring situation. It should simply be the best person for the job, regardless whether they are male or female.