Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Speeches
Today in English we talked about speeches and listened to a view. Personally I like giving speeches and I don't get nervous. Some people studder or rock back and forth and feel very uncomfortable saying speeches. There are even people who have a fear of speaking in front of people which is actually a phobia called glossophobia. Glossophobia characterizes a person to be anit-social. Do you believe that people who are glossophobic are all anti-social? Do you think speeches are necessary? How do you feel when you say a speech? Do we really need to learn how to say speeches even if our career does not use them at all? What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I think everyone should have at least some speaking skills, but i don't think that it should be a required or graded. Some people really have a hard time with public speaking and i don't think that that fear she be a grade determinant. It's really not fair. There should be a speech class (like at my high school) but it should only be optional.
I dont think that people that have that are anti-social. I just believe they dont like being in front of people they really dont know. I do believe that it is a good thing to give speeches though because it's just getting us ready for a real job. Personally i really dont care about giving a speech because if you noticed i talk a lot in class.
I think everyone should have to have said atleast one speech in their lifetime. Speeches are very essential to help you in the career world. They teach you good speaking habits and how to be professional. I think that jsut because you don't give speeches well or are afraid doesn't mean you are antisocial, it just means that it's not as easy for you.
I believe this is a very good topic[10 kudos], but I believe you should be able to give speeches. No matter what the cause it has you interacting with the audience. A big part of our lives is communication. So if you cant give a speech to a group of people, you are probably the one who wont be outspoken with a group you may work with. You as a speaker gives you the leadership, you are in command of what these people are seeing, and hearing. So how you do things, really shows apart of the way you are.
Everyone needs to give a speech sooner or later. It helps you speaking skills and being in front of people. I do not believe people that have a fear of speaking in front of others are anti social. I believe they are just more comfortable in a situation that is not as formal like as in speaking in front of a class.
I personally believe speeches are not that bad. I also think it's good for someone to be able to stand in front of a crowd and give the crowd what they wrote. Speeches are overated in my opinion.
I dont think speeches are necessary because if you write a paper i think you should be able to turn it in and not worrie about getting in front of people and having be to nerves infront of your classmates. We don't really need to learn to say a speech because it well just come naturally. It does not bother me but it is not my favorit thing to get up infront of a class and talk.
I don't think ala people who have glossophobia are anti-social. It's just that some people have trouble speaking in front of others. I think speeches are necesssary, it gives people a chance to express themselves to others. I feel energetic and alive when I speak, I just like to let people know how I feel. Yes we do need to learn how to speak. Even if our career doesn't need it, it still will help us sometime down the road.
No I'm not glossophobia or anti-social. I think speech is necessary because you can address an issue or get something off your mind. I really dont like giving speeches though I like to write poetry. I think everybody should learn how to give a speech because it makes it easier to talk to people even if you dont know them.
I think that people who have a hard time talking in front of a big group of people are not anti-social, i just think that certain people have to be comfortable with the others that are around in order to perform their speech well. I hate talking in front of large groups of people especially ones that i barely know but i love talking and getting to know people. Yes i do think that we should all be open to learning how to give a good speech and performing it well because it builds character and self confidence.
~holly
I don't think that everyone with glossophobia is anti-social. Don't think speeches are necessary but I do think they are a good thing. I think in most careers you actually use speech all the time. Either to contribute your idea to your company or just make your opinion known.
Speeches are a scary thing to me. However, I think they are good in that they teach you social skills along with the ability to communicate with your employees or peers around you. Should they be graded? I believe they could do without the grade but could use critism and advice.
I think that everybody should have some type of speeching skills, because you never know when you're going to have to talk infront of a lot of people in your future and I think the more practice you have the better you will be in the career world. And I am the type of person who gets nervous when reading infront of alot of people sometimes, But i don't think that means I am anti-social, It is just because I get nervous and it's not as easy for me as it is to others
Personally I dislike giving speeches, I honestly don't see the point in them. Whenever I give a speech I start talking really fast, and I have to have my hands a certain way. I wouldn't say that I'm anti-social, just a little shy, especially when it comes to reading in public.
i dont think having glossophobia means you are anti-social. it just means you dont like talking in front of big crowds. when i say a speech i just try to forget the fact that i am saying it in front of a crowd and read it as i am reading to myself. but i do think everybody should experience saying a couple of speeches because i do believe they could help their speech out.
Post a Comment