Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tell My Horse

We have been reading the book Tell My Horse, which is a guide to the authors personal experience in Haiti. Out of the chapters we have already read, what is one theme or message that catches your eye? How does Hurston portray that message?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing that caught my eye is the talk about VooDoo. I never thought of it as a religion, but to me it seems as though a lot of people think of it as their religion. I mean they have VooDoo mamba, priests, and they hold ceremonies. I find that very interesting.

Anonymous said...

The one thing that caught my eye is the talk of VooDoo and the festivals that go along with that. I think its just cool the way they do something total different even if it doesn't make sense. She puts you into the story as if you were there. That's what i found very interesting

Patrik12 said...

The thing that caught my eye was the VooDoo. It is amazing how serious people take it, and i never thought it could be considered a religion. I just thought it was a way of life for certain people. All of this helps me feel like I was in Haiti experiencing what was happening, and that made the book interesting.

Anonymous said...

I think that i misunderstood the effects of voodoo before reading this book. Before reading this i just thought voodoo was just some crazy rumor and that voodoo was just a myth. But after reading this Hurston put into prespective the whole voodoo aspect and its impact in Haiti.

Daniel said...

I have to agree with Tori. I never thought of Voodoo being a religion. In this book it really talks about the Voodoo religion. I don't think its an religion.

Anonymous said...

One thing that really caught my attention was when it was talking about VooDoo because to me it doesn't make any sense why anybody would take it so serious.I never thought about it being a religion, but it's actually really intresting to read about.

brandi said...

the major aspect that caught my attention was the voodoo.I didnt think of it as real but the book made it very believable. i found it interesting that it seemed like you were in the story.

Anonymous said...

Well the main theme of the book is voodoo. It made me look into and think about voodoo in ways that I never did before. Many people consider this a religion. I thought was interesting and weird at the same time.

Jamion said...

I think one of the things that catches my eye is how they consider voodoo as a religion. I never been taught that so it didn't think about it. I guess it could be consider as a religion because people believe in it and part take in it.